Wednesday, October 21, 2009

By Helaria


My name is Nyundu Helaria. I’m a girl of 18 years and I was born in 1991-10-16. I live in a town called Rundu which is in the northern part of Namibia in Kavango Region. I’m schooling at Rundu Senior Secondary School which is the biggest school in our town. We have grade 8 to 12 at our school and we have 40 learners in each class, which means our school has 1100 learners in the whole school.

At our school we wear uniforms. The girls wear white shirts and maroon skirts and the boys wear grey trousers and white shirts. I like all my teachers but I like my geography teacher Mr Situnda and our English teacher Mr Subasubani most. They are nice teachers they always make sure that each learner parcitipates in class and most of all they are funny teachers. They always find a way to put a smile on every learner’s face.

Growing up in Namibia is a good thing or great thing, but I doubt your teenagers face the same problems as ours. I’m disappointed in our girls this year because 26 of them dropped out of school this year because they became pregnant. This number has increased from the number we had last year. We have been taught about preventing pregnancy at our school and we have clubs at our school too, but our girls are ignorant and don’t get involved. But after the Teenage Pregnancy Awareness event that was held at our school last week I hope things change for the better.


Helaria is in grade 11 at Rundu Seconary School
She can be reached at mhelaria@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment